If you are Robbed/ Lose Something

While Madrid is generally very safe, pickpocketing is very common. Being aware of your surroundings and carrying your things carefully can help you avoid this situation.  Check the Heads UP! post about more tips.

If your belongings have been robbed or lost, please follow these steps… (Please note that you do not need to contact us or submit a police report if you loose something, only if robbed.)

  1. CALL STAFF: If you are hurt or there was any violence involved, please call the emergency phone. If there was no violence involved you can send us an email to let us know what happened.
  2. CANCEL CARDS: Cancel any credit or debit cards that were taken. 
    1. American express: 902 37 56 37
    2. Mastercard: 900 99 11 24
    3. Visa: 913 62 62 00
  3. SUMBIT POLICE REPORT: Report it immediately to SATE. SATE stands for Servicio de Atención al Turista Extranjero.

    Contact information:
    SATE – Comisaría de Centro
    C/ Leganitos nº 19
    28004 Madrid, Spain

    Nearest metro station: Santo Domingo (Line 2) (Red).
    Phones: 91 548 8537 and 91 548 8008
    Phone for reporting a crime 24 hours a day: 902 102 112
    E-mail: satemadrid@munimadrid.es

  4. CHECK U.S. INSURANCE: Notify the American Embassy as they often receive lost IDs, wallets, etc. +34 902 102 112. Your family’s homeowners insurance may cover the cost of some stolen items. Check with them, but remember that you’ll need the police report to state exactly what items were taken.
  5. EMAIL STAFF: Email our staff and let us know if there is anything else you need! 

iPhone/ Smart Phone
We do not suggest having a new one mailed to you! The phone will get stuck in customs and you will have to pay upwards of 200 euros to get it out, in many cases more than the phone is worth! Instead we suggest getting a local phone and paying as you go. See more information here about getting a local phone!

If your passport has been stolen a replacement passport will cost between 70-100€. You will need to bring the following to the US Embassy:

  • 2 2×2 inch (5x5cm) photographs 
  • A copy of the police report
  • A photocopy of your passport

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s